Wednesday, March 25, 2009

RIP - WSJ Print Edition

After over fifteen years of subscribing to the WSJ, I cancelled my subscription on Monday and switched to the digital Kindle version of the WSJ. I've been having frustrating paper delivery problems over the last 3-4 weeks and I was gradually becoming an "angry" person since my complaints to customer service was falling on deaf ears. Apparently we live in a newspaper Bermuda triangle and the delivery person just keeps "forgetting" to deliver. However, I learned one very valuable lessons:

Even the most loyal customer will give up...eventually: The morning paper has been non-negotiable for me. I never thought I'd give up print papers. However, living without a paper for a few weeks taught me that I can live without it and I can find other ways to get the news that are more reliable and cheaper. Customer service lesson, don't let your customers learn to live without your product.

Customer service lessons aside, I did encounter two hilarious incidents stemming from this irritating saga. Last Thursday was a rare day when I actually received my paper. Stuffed inside my paper was a note that I'm sure was not intended for me, but for my delivery person. It read, "Complaints Cost Money...$20...Address: xxxx...Instructions: Just Deliver the Paper...Fix it now!!!" Incredible! I think my delivery person might actually be a doofus.

Then yesterday I get a phone call from the field supervisor. "Hi Ann, I saw that you had another missed delivery. I thought we had fixed the problem, but I guess he forgot to delivery the paper again. I yelled at him about it today since I thought we'd fixed the problem. I don't know what's going on, but please give me a call." My delivery person FORGOT to deliver my paper. I have nothing to say in response. Now that I get it automatically delivered on my Kindle...I'm a happy camper and no longer angry.

No comments: