Monday, March 14, 2011

Indignities

My trip to Dallas last week had us waiting in a few Midwestern airports. I made the best of it and bought Adam lots of regional junk food in Milwaukee, Dallas and Cleveland. The following is a reconstructed conversation with a young man, a freshman in college:

Freshman: Hi, are you guys on the flight to Boston?
plasticann: Yes we are. Are you?
Freshman: I'm going home to Concord. You guys must go to OSU!
plasticann: [pause] Hmmm, what's OSU?
Freshman: Ohio State University
plasticann: We're not in college, I live in Boston and we're on a business trip. What brings you to Ohio?
Freshman: I'm in college at Dennison.
plasticann: What year are you?
Freshman: I'm a freshman. Did you go to school in Boston?
plasticann: Actually in Providence, I went to Brown.
Freshman: Oh, a buddy of mine goes to Brown...do you know....
plasticann: [interrupts] Actually I'm 32 and I just went to my 10 year reunion, probably not.
Freshman: My mom went to Brown.

I thought to myself, I might know actually know your mom. Just kidding, there's no way I know his mom, I'm not that old. As someone pointed out wisely, it way worse to be mistaken as significantly older. Probably true, but I still contend that mistaken for college age is still a problem.

No comments: