Thursday, June 30, 2005

The cereal aisle

We stopped by the market on Tuesday night for our first official joint grocery run since MGDub was kind enough to give us a ride. The cereal aisle was our first testing ground. I really wanted a box of lucky charms. This potentially boring reconstructed conversation preceded another in depth conversation in the bread aisle, but that's for next time.

plasticann: [watching Adam briefly duck away from the cereal aisle] MGDub, I really want these Lucky Charms. I had some at the Ramada Inn for breakfast after Kellie's wedding and they were so delicious. I hadn't had them since college.
MGDub: You know, Lucky Charms are the greatest marketing scheme..."for a limited time...purple horseshoes."
[enter Adam]
Adam: [holding a box of "Kashi Go Lean"] What do you have there?
plasticann: I really want a box of Lucky Charms.
Adam: They're pure sugar. Don't you like the Kashi Go Lean? It's really "good."
plasticann: They're alright. They taste like Honey Smacks without the honey, which is the best part. I do like the Raisin Bran Crunch, maybe I'll get that.
Adam: Doesn't Raisin Bran have a lot of sugar?
MGDub: It's probably still better than Lucky Charms.
plasticann: [looking at the nutrition panels] Actually, Raisin Bran Crunch has more sugar than Lucky Charms.
Adam: But, look at the serving size. Raisin Bran is 50 grams a serving versus 30 grams for the Lucky Charms.
plasticann: I guess puffed sugar cereal and freeze dried marshmallows don't weigh much. I'll get the Raisin Bran Crunch, but MDGub, you can buy me some Lucky Charms for my next birthday.
MGDub: You got it!
plasticann: [scanning the shelves] They don't have the granola I like.
Adam: Don't you like the Kashi Go Lean, it's really good.
plasticann: [restating her position more strongly] Ughhh. Tastes like Honey Smacks without the honey.
MGDub: You know what's the best granola ever? The Quaker Oatmeal granola.
Adam: [pointing to the box next to MGDub's favorite granola] Hey, they've even got a low fat version with raisins. Have you had that?
MGDub: No! You know me, if it's low fat, I think it'll taste bad.
plasticann: I'm only eating it as a topping for my yogurt.
Adam: But, it's got raisins.
plasticann: I guess I'll give it a whirl.

I think Adam secretly doesn't want Lucky Charms and fatty granola around the house because he doesn't want to end up eating my deliciously unhealthy cereals. He also didn't want me to buy the Hood ice cream that was on sale. Maybe I'll start labeling ice cream, lucky charms and granola with my name. I'm sure Adam will really appreciate that.

No comments: