Friday, March 12, 2004

I [heart] Photocopying

Having just filled out a Church survey of ways we, as members, were able to help, I was ruminating about my bizarre enthusiasm for all things related to photocopying: photocopying, collating, folding paper and stuffing envelopes. While my current relationship with my pater familias consists of sending bi-annual shipments of nutritious and delicious sources of "fiber" by way of Harry & David, I have many happy memories of running my own little Kinko's type copy shop operation as a kid. A professional grade photocopier was ubiquitously present in our household growing up, as was the presence of other office equipment such as the spiral binding contraption. Somehow this was "normal" for me. My dad would often have these meetings and he would require copy shop services. This was before the prevalence of Kinko’s so I would spend days during school vacation completing these tasks. I would watch TV and eat my pineapple pie all while keeping an eye on the progress of the photocopier. I would put the packets together and bind them up real nice with clear covers and color coordinated opaque backings. I think I was all of nine and I'm sure I did a very professional and detailed oriented job because I took pride in the quality of my work and I certainly didn't get any complaints from the "customer" (aka Dad).

No comments: