Friday, July 23, 2004

Mount St. Sundae

My housemates and I pursued a sugar high as a last hurrah last night at the Cambridge Hyatt hotel lounge. Although we had been warned the sundaes were "huge" and they usually ordered three sundaes for a dozen folks, we lived dangerously and each ordered our own sundae. When I saw the picture of the sundaes on the sign, I scoffed, "childs play...these sundaes come in martini glasses...how big could they be," except the martini glasses were almost 18 inches tall with a liquid capacity of at least 1 liter. Never have I encountered such an extreme instance where the actual food item was disproportionately larger than the picture of the said food item on a sign/billboard...usually it's much smaller. I ordered the Turtle Smoosh with Haagen Daaz Dulce De Leche ice cream and Eli's cheesecake. In retrospect, I should have gone with the banana split to balance out all the ice cream with some fruit. The Turtle Smoosh was actually smaller than the Mount St. Sundae, which was basically a mountain of ice cream and pastries. Prices were quite reasonable at six to seven dollars and the ice cream was premium. Jittery sugar high...accomplished.

No comments: