Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Two eggs do not a stick of butter make

I wanted to bake Madeleines last night so I hauled out the Julia Child's Baking Cookbook and the Madeleine pans Wheezy got me for x-mas/bridal shower. I checked out Julia's recipe and compared it to Joy of Cooking recipe I had used before. The ingredient disparity lineup:

Julia v. Joy
6 v. 4 eggs
3 Tbs v. 12 Tbs butter


Taking the butter disparity into account, I decided to give Julia's less buttery version a whirl. I wondered if the two extra eggs would compensate for the loss of a stick of butter. Sure enough, these Julia Madeleine baked up dry. The upside...you can eat loads of Julia Madeleines...four dry ones for every buttery Joy Madeleine.

This post has been made possible through the generosity of Wheezy.

No comments: