Thursday, October 03, 2013

16 pounds of Caramel Ice Cream...Check

2013 vintage

All 3 gallons or 16 pounds fit nicely in a tote bag

We've partied with a big tub of Caramel Apple Ice Cream from JP Licks going on five years so it's sorta becoming a bit of a tradition. Every September, Adam starts peeking into the JP Licks window in Davis Square to see if the "flavors of the month" include "Caramel Apple Ice Cream." It only comes once a year, typically in October. However, JP Licks has been known to release the flavors "early" so Adam checks it starting mid September just to be sure he doesn't miss out on the very narrow Caramel Apple Ice Cream season. Having confirmed it's release, I walked over to JP Licks this afternoon to secure our annual supply when the following reconstructed conversation occurred:

plasticann: Hi, I'd like to get a big tub of Caramel Apple.
Scooper: [pointing to the quart tubs] Oh you mean like a quart.
plasticann: [gesturing about 2 feet high] No, I mean like a giant tub.
Scooper: [incredulously] Like the "buckets" that we scoop from?
plasticann: Yes! A bucket of ice cream.
Scooper: Uhhh, I'm going to have to ask my manager. I'll be right back!

Manager: So you want a "bucket" of ice cream?
plasticann: Yup!
Manager: Do you KNOW how our buckets are?
plasticann: Yes!
Manager: Do you have a deep chest freezer with enough space to store the bucket?
plasticann: I cleared out plenty of room today.
Manager: Do you KNOW how much a bucket costs?
plasticann: [sheepishly] I do...I've actually bought a "bucket" every year for the last 5 years so I do know how big it is and how much it costs.
Manager: OK...I just have to make sure that you know what you're buying. I don't want you to be surprised when you get it home. Do you need help carrying it to your car? It's big!!!
plasticann: Just put it in this tote bag, I'm all set.

As I was leaving
Scooper: [whispers to the manager] How much does a bucket cost?
Manager: $XY dollars!
plasticann: [chiming in] It's actually very economical when you think about per quart.
Manager: [nodding] It is a very good deal.

There you have it! They don't let just anyone walk out with a bucket of ice cream. It's practically a controlled substance and they've probably added me to some sort of ice cream anonymous database at this point. From my perspective, it's just 16 pounds of ice cream and I'm confident that this year we'll be able to take down the bucket like we did last year. Join in this heroic endeavor and lookout for an email from Adam sometime soon.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Did you weigh it?

Also, the price is up on their wall... so the server shouldn't have been so shocked.

Ann said...

The scooper was clearly a "newbie" and yes I did weigh myself and then weigh myself holding the bucket. I elected NOT to photograph the scale.