Friday, November 08, 2013

Homemade Cookie Gifts - Freeze Ahead


A friend's mom was super duper disappointed to find out recently that it was her daughter-in-law, not her son, who'd been selecting, buying and sending all her thoughtful gifts over the last decade. I certainly wasn't surprised because the same deal holds in my household. Adam and I made this deal early on that I would take on all the gift giving, cards and social niceties while Adam tackled most of the cooking. It was a clear example of comparative advantage and the benefits of trade because we have both been delighted with the arrangement. While we never announced the division of labor to Adam's parents, I think they caught on since they're pretty smart. Adam jokingly confessed to his parents that "he had nothing to do" with their gifts to which they graciously responded, "yeah we figured, it's ok."

Within the scope of my gift giving responsibilities is making sure we have stuff to bring for social occasions. To prepare for a weekend of fun social events, I baked up a bunch of home baked cookies. I made some extra packs of cookies which I'll freeze in freezer bags so I'll be ready for whatever comes from housewarming parties to impromptu birthday lunches. This week's selections include:

  • Apricot Jam Coconut Thumbprint Cookies
  • Shortbread Cookies
  • Ginger Molasses Cookies
  • and Sprinkledoodles
All these cookies freezer super well. They usually thaw out in about an hour so I just grab them out of the freezer the morning of or the night before. To joyfully efficient holiday celebrations! I'm ready!!!

2 comments:

Abigail said...

You are brilliant!

Do you freeze them in the fancy bags? Do you leave them in the sealed bags to thaw?

Ann said...

I package them up in fancy bags, then I put the fancy bags in gallon freezer bags. I just grab a little fancy bag out to thaw when I need them. I also freeze the cookies just in freezer bags for home consumption or houseguests.