Thursday, December 19, 2013

Dear Diary…1988



"Going through my stuff" at plasticmom's is always an interesting and often hilarious trip down memory lane. I unearthed a Peanuts diary that said "KEEP OUT!" complete with a combination lock. I wasn't even going to bother opening up the diary since I couldn't remember the combination, but plasticmom persisted for about 30 seconds and the contents were revealed. Tah dah!


The only thing "juicy" about this diary is the amount of orange juice we were all drinking according to my meticulous record of our 5th grade snacks. There are only two entries on one page, both for November 1988 so I must have lost the combination for the lock real quick. 
  • I could totally picture myself writing a very similar entry in a diary today. I would like to think my snack records would be more refined, but I'm pretty sure I've actually made note in a journal about enjoying "Cheetos with orange juice" at some point in the last 12 months.
  • I've always been food obsessed. What everyone brought for snack was clearly the highlight of the day. Maybe the big secret I was keeping locked up in my diary was that I was more interested in snack than school. Scandalous!
  • This kid Nobu might have been a hobbit who enjoyed multiple snacks. First some orange juice and then some Cracker Jacks for elevensies. Now that I think about it, I remember he had these awesome Teddy Grahams for snack one day and I was jealous. 
  • How come I'm eating an apple while my friends are chomping on fruit roll ups, corn chips Frito to be exact, chips, Cracker Jacks and Cheetos. Most disturbing is, why am I "eating nothing" for snack on November 23, 1988. I'm gonna have to ask plasticmom some tough questions.
The only person I'm still Facebook friends with is a girl named Michelle. I wonder if she's feeding her adorable kids "Fritos corn chips" and "Cheetos?"

Postscript: Both plasticmom and Adam were befuddled. They both asked "why would you write about snacks in your diary?"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ann,

I don't make it a habit to feed my own kiddos chips. :( They get to eat fruits and veggies for a snack. I'm sure it will change as they grow older. As for eating...I remember eating tea cakes at your house when we were little. I still dream about them. Any idea where I can find some? Another great memory with you.....making lollipops using candy molds. I had so much fun.


Michelle

Ann said...

I vaguely remember the tea cakes. Were they like glazed or something? I can't remember, but I'll ask my mom.

angela p. said...

Middlestadts class? Is it strange that I think I remember where you guys sat? :-)

Ann said...

Yup…Middlestadts. I still sort of remember where people sat at that table and I definitely remember how Nobu and his bag of Teddy Grahams.

Unknown said...

Lol I don't remember snacks in 5th grade. I do remember Angie had shrimp chips in 6th grade. :-)

Unknown said...

I love doing SRA in her class. I did my state report on Oklahoma. Random things I remember. Ann...The tea cakes had a glaze on them. Please check with your mom.

Ann said...

We both think the teacakes were from a bakery in the Osco drug store strip mall shopping mall in MPK. There used to be a Yeelow Deli in that same mall. I'm not sure the bakery is even there anymore.