Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Deep Dish Key Lime Something or Other

I decided to take a crack at making Key Lime Pie last weekend using a crust of ginger snaps rather than the usual graham crackers. Because I was too lazy to crush the ginger snaps to make a crust, I decided to use a pile of crumbled ginger snaps on the bottom of a 9x9 Pyrex glass baking dish and bypass the whole process of actually making crust. The results were pretty tasty, but I think my "crust" got soggier than usual and was a bit aesthetically unpleasing since I didn't bake the pile of ginger snaps in the oven before pouring on the liquid filling. Next time I think I'll try baking only the filling with no "crust" and serve with ginger snap crumbs on top rather than baking the ginger snaps...which would be a snap. Alternatively, I could fill little ramekins and torch the top like creme brulee which would require extra equipment and I'd have to get over my fear of fire.

Key Lime Pie Filling (1 pie, two pies of filling were needed to reasonably fill the 9x9 Pyrex dish)

Mix until blended:
3 eggs
1 14oz can of condensed milk
1/2 cup of key lime juice + a bit extra for more zesty flavor (Trader Joe's bottled variety)

1. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min for one batch of filling. I'd try 30-40 min for two batches or until the filling is really no longer liquid to avoid food poisoning. 30-40 min may be overkill, but I'm always paranoid about food safety.
2. Cool outside oven for 10 min
3. Refrigerate for few hours or overnight.
4. Serve with crumbled ginger snaps on top

No comments: