Thursday, January 08, 2004

"Double Hat Day"

With the weather dipping down 15 degrees this morning, I wisely re-instituted "Double Hat Day," which calls for simultaneously wearing two hats because it's too cold to wear just one...an odd sight indeed. This inaugural "Double Hat Day" also convinced me that I needed a new suit, a pants suit to be specific and since we're being specific, not a purple pants suit.

As all college seniors are to acquire a suit in hopes of acquiring that ever elusive job, I do own a suit from four years ago...a skirt suit. I have many fond memories from that fateful winter four years ago, including an especially memorable Siberian death march of two blocks in negative fifteen-degree weather for lunch at the Legal Seafood in Kendall Square. I would rather have starved than go to lunch, but one doesn’t have many options when one is being interviewed so I proceeded into the polar freeze in my skirt suit and an insufficient coat.

I've put off investing in a new suit because I never wear suits at work save for the one on-campus interview I conduct each year behind a desk usually in a small basement room or cubicle. Jessica, Steve and I are flying to Chicago next weekend for an interview and we need to look "professional," so warmth and comfort has now become a high priority. A quick trip to Ann Taylor around lunchtime reinforced the following lesson in life, "Money isn't the solution to all problems, but if the problem is needing a pant suit and you've got the cash, then you're all set." Ahhhh...Deep Thoughts...I should write for fortune cookies.

No comments: