Monday, June 07, 2004

The "Closet"

I've got this "closet" in California filled with random household items. Sometimes plasticmom will purchase an extra set of her newest kitchen find for me. Other times, I'll salvage her discarded kitchen items. All these are stored in the "closet." Whenever I'm home, I peek in my closet to assess the inventory. Recent conversations surrounding the "closet" have brought to light my erroneous assumption that items stored in the "closet" were actually in my closet. Apparently, the "closet" is not actually a closet, which would explain why my closet never seems to reflect any additions and why I'm thoroughly unaware of the contents of the "closet." The following are two reconstructed conversations regarding the closet.

Ceramic Knives
plasticmom: What should I get Adam for his birthday?
plasticann: Laurel's boyfriend [CAD Cowboy] got her a ceramic knife. Maybe you could get Adam a ceramic knife.
plasticmom: Well, actually...I've got an extra set of ceramic knives, a big one and a little one.
plasticann: Why do you have an extra set of knives?
plasticmom: I got them for you; they're in the "closet."

Egg Cooker
plasticann: Hey mom, I saw this cool egg cooker that makes hard-boiled eggs. Maybe you should get one.
plasticmom: Does it have a dome?
plasticann: Yeah.
plasticmom: Well actually...I got one of those for you years ago. Your egg cooker is really cute, the dome is shaped like a chicken. It's from Germany. We used to have one years ago in Taiwan.
plasticann: Where is this egg cooker shaped like a chicken?
plasticmom: It's in the "closet." You've got lots of things in the "closet."
plasticann: I always check my closet and I've never seen an egg cooker shaped like a chicken.
plasticmom: It's not actually in your closet, it's stored somewhere else. You should really check out the “closet” next time you’re home.
plasticann: What else is in the "closet?"
plasticmom: You've got a bunch of dishes in the "closet." I just found this meat grinder that also from Germany. We got in Japan, but it's made in Germany. I think we were going to make hamburgers using $17/lb cuts of steak, but we've never used it.
plasticann: Could you put that meat grinder in the "closet?"
plasticmom: Sure thing!

No comments: