Friday, September 22, 2006

Mark, the Deli Guy

Adam and I stopped by Shaw's last night to buy food for our High School Musical party. Because our menu is high school cafeteria themed (mac&cheese, jello, tator tots and hot dogs), we stopped by the deli counter for some Pearl Kountry hot dogs where we met Mark the deli guy. We spent a good 20 minutes bonding with Mark over hot dogs, the Phantom Gourmet, donuts, etc. The following is a very small reconstructed snipit of our conversation:

Mark: Yeah, Pearl's are the best. My dad's thinking about opening up a hot dog cart over at Tuft's on game day.
plasticann: Have you been to Speed's hot dogs in Newmarket Square? I saw it on the Phantom Gourmet.
Mark: Of course, those hot dogs are unbelievable. I don't know what that guys marinates those dogs in, but it's just incredible. You can wait two hours for a dog, but it's worth it. He's only there for three days out of the week. Everything on the Phantom Gourmet is good. Well, the other day, my dad and I went to that new place in Davis, Spike's, and we were not impressed so that recommendation wasn't good.
Adam: Really, we used to live in Providence where the original Spike's was and it was always good. I guess now that they have a dozen locations, it's probably harder to keep quality up. Have you ever been to that place in Waltham, Carl's Steak Subs.
Mark: Yeah, I love that place, it's right by my house. I drive a truck so I'm all over the state and I always plan my route so I can go to my favorite places. [pointing to his belly] I didn't get my girlish figure eating salads.
plasticann: Are you going...
Mark: Do you guys know about that food festival they have on Landsdowne Street?
plasticann: I was just saying, are you going to the Phantom Gourmet Food Festival?
Mark: Are you kidding, of course. My wife's already bought the tickets.
Adam: Last year, we had this dynamite stick.
Mark: Wholly Cannoli, that place is awesome. There area a lot of great places here too, you know RF O'Sullivans, they have the best burgers.
plasticann: We live down the street from there.
Mark: Do you need a roommate? Just Kidding.
Adam & plasticann: Ha ha ha!
Mark: Now I'm really hungry, I need to call home and ask my wife to make me dinner when I get home.
plasticann: I'm hungry too.
Adam: When do you work here? We'll stop by next time and say hi.

Maaahhk, the deli guy, basically lives my culinary fantasy life. I did briefly consider truck driving as a vocation, seemed so footloose and fancy free, full of hot dogs, subs and cannolis. Adam, while walking away, said wistfully, "I really want to go to Wholly Cannoli someday."

No comments: