Saturday, June 21, 2008

Wonderful Day in the Neighborhood

Dave's Pasta in Somerville is one my favorites in Davis Square. They've been making fresh pasta for years, but in the last three years they've expanded their offerings to include a sandwich shop with wine/beer, a cheese case and some local fresh produce and products. All of their food is great and you can beat the location so I stop by at least once a week to pick up some bread or cheese or eggs, etc. Anyhow, Dave's Pasta now has a Saturday Sidewalk BBQ so Adam and I walked over today to check it out. I got the 1/4 pound Pearl dog with all the fixings including their homemade jalepeno relish and Adam enjoyed a delicious chicken sausage with peppers and onions.

After lunch, we walked over to Dunkin Donuts for some iced coffee since we were way undercaffeinated. I wanted to go to Bob Slate so we walked over to Porter where we come across the Obama for President Bake/Yard Sale. I must admit, I was intrigued even though we're [gasp] Republicans. The baked goods looked great and I wanted to compliment the organizers by telling them that their desserts looked so good that I wanted to buy them despite the Obama pitch, but I didn't know if they'd really appreciate it. I bought a decadent Obama brownie for a quarter [what a steal] and Adam bought a Whoopie Pie for two bucks. Yes, Adam did his parents proud by supporting Obama eight fold. Too bad his Whoopie Pie wasn't very chocolaty, but my Obama brownie was delicious until I found some tin foil inside my Obama brownie so I had to toss the rest which was a little sad since the Obama brownie was really good. I just love calling them Obama brownies for some reason.

Next we meandered over to the hardware store. I was at the checkout when the following reconstructed conversation happened between plasticann and the checkout lady:

checkout lady: Do you have Ace card or a student ID?
plasticann: Nope!
checkout lady: You should get one?
plasticann: A student ID?
checkout lady: No, the Ace card, you're here a lot.
plasticann: I'm here a lot?
checkout lady: Um, I'm pretty sure I see you in here a lot, you could really use the Ace card.
plasticann: You're right, I do come here a lot. How much is the card?
checkout lady: It's free!
plasticann: I'll get one then.

So, there you have it, I spend a lot of time at the hardware store. Truthfully, I probably go there at least once a week so it's a good think she hooked me up with the card. After the hardware store, we were walking home when we heard someone holler "Zakun" from a car. It was a our friend Zane in a car stopped at the light. I had to laugh, it was the perfect end to our lovely meandering stroll through our neighborhood.

No comments: