Thursday, November 19, 2009

Unfounded Outrage

I'm a mentor for a college prep program for high school juniors and seniors. Last night was a fun field trip to a Celtics game. The following is reconstructed from a conversation I struck up with a student:

plasticann: Hi, we haven't met, I'm [plasticann].
Student: Hi, I'm [student].
plasticann: Where do you go to high school?
Student: Rindge and Latin.
plasticann: Are you a junior?
Student: Why? Do I look like a junior?
plasticann: Umm...I don't know, you're either a junior or a senior so it's a guess.
Student: [not bothering to clarify] Are you in college?
Note: Some mentors are college students
plasticann: No...[clarifying that I'm not a college drop out] I'm no longer in college.
Student: [Incredulously] YOU'RE done with college???
plasticann: Yes, I'm a few years out of college. [huge understatement]

He was potentially all riled up because I thought he was a junior when he might have been a senior. Whereas he was way off pegging me as at least 10 years younger than my actual age. Harumph! I considered driving the point home that he had no cause to be outraged by telling him I was nearly 10 years out of college, but I decided to just let it go. Yeah, how big of me for not getting into it with a kid. I guess when one is 16, the idea of someone thinking you're a year younger or older is a really HUGE deal.

No comments: