Monday, July 25, 2005

"Are You Starving?"

...asked plasticmom during our weekly phone chat. "No," I responded, "I've been doing all the cooking and I'm a pretty good cook." Unconvinced, plasticmom probed further, "What are you making?" I countered, "I made chicken salad, potato salad, coffee, pork chops and other things." plasticmom contemplates, "Hmmm, isn't there a dumpling place near your house?" I wondered where this was going as I replied, "Yes, there are lots of restaurants on our street since we live on a major street." "Good," plasticmom concluded with relief, "you must not be starving.

Harumph, plasticmom holds two contradictory beliefs about my cooking...simultaneously.

1. I can't cook because I rarely do.
2. I could be a great cook because I love to eat and I know what food should taste like.

I can't tell is she has boundless faith in my cooking or the opposite. Heck, I even put Adam on the phone for his endorsement of my culinary abilities. He said, in general, that my food was tasty and that I "cut up fruit" for fruit salad. plasticmom seemed sufficiently mollified by Adam's endorsement, but I think she may still be a bit concerned since she offered, "I'm really glad you guys live in a city, there are places to eat close by so you won't starve." It's all very comical. That plasticmom...she's a real chuckle...she makes me laugh.

No comments: