Monday, July 11, 2005

I [heart] Acapella

I admit it! I love acapella. Love the percussing, love the outfits, love the chipper attitude, love it all. My good friend Kellie is also a fan and I always knew I had someone to hit all the concerts with in college. We never actually made it to a Rockapella concert, but let me tell ya...we discussed the possibility. Adam and I were out to dinner with Aaron and Wheezy on Saturday when I discovered Wheezy's extreme hatred of all things acapella. I had called Wheezy earlier in the day to let her know that the ERS musical show was on the radio since she loves musicals. Later at dinner, I brought up an acapella song I'd heard on ERS. Wheezy gave me a horrified look and asked pointedly, "Is the musical show all acapella?" I quickly assured her that the musical radio show had nothing to do with acapella, but an acapella show followed the musical show. That's when Wheezy declared, "Oh good because I hate acapella...makes me want to murder people." At first I thought Wheezy was exaggerating her position to be "funny." After we discussed the finer points of why Wheezy hated acapella [goofy faces and pun based names], I finally realized she really does hate acapella. Fortunately, Wheezy does not seem to dislike acapella lovers. That's what I like about her, she's friends with meat eating acapella lovers even though she's a vegetarian acapella despiser. To better demonstrate Wheezy's point, I've used the actual name of my alma mater in the following reconstructed conversation rather than referring to it as a "college in Providence," or "Zrown."

plasticann: Why do you hate acapella so much?
Wheezy: I don't like the goofy faces they make during performances and I hate the pun based names.
plasticann: What, like the "Brown Derbies" or "Harmonic Motion" or "Brown'sTones?"
Wheezy: Exactly!
plasticann: But but the "Brown Derbies," they even wear brown derbie hats.
Aaron: [ringing in] The "Brown Derbies" are from Brown?
plasticann: Yeah! Have you heard of them?
Aaron: Yeah, my roommate had their CDs. I didn't know they were a college group. I guess I never made the connection.
plasticann: I think Rockapella was started by a bunch of Brown alums.
Wheezy: Ughh! Sounds awful.

Things Wheezy is also not fond of: Kevin Costner and rapping grannies.

No comments: