Saturday, June 03, 2006

Seattle: Day 1

We got into Seattle yesterday afternoon and enjoyed a delicious dinner at Wild Ginger. The following reconstructed conversation/scenario happened while we stopped by Walgreens after dinner for some provisions.

Walgreens Lady: [to the man in front of plasticann] Would you like to try our M&M special? Two for a dollar?
Man in Front: No thanks!
Walgreens Lady: [to plasticann] Would you like to try our M&M special?
plasticann: NOPE!
Walgreens Lady: OK, that'll be eight dollars.
Adam: [as plasticann is about to pay] Actually, yes I would like some M&Ms. These are the special M&Ms.
Walgreens: Yes, they're Pirates of the Caribbean M&Ms.
Adam: I saw an ad for these white chocolate M&Ms and I've been meaning to buy them since they're limited edition!
plasticann: [amused, but shakes her head]

Walking out of Walgreens, we encounter a trio of punks hanging out on the street corner. Punks as in kids who loaf on street corners with nothing to do but cause trouble, not punks as in fans of the musical genre.

Punks: [to Adam] Hey, can I have some M&Ms.
Adam: [eating M&Ms] No!
Punks: blah blah blah...open toed sandals...thirty years old and you're wearing open toed sandals.
Adam: [Keeps walking in his Tevas without responding]
Punks: I wouldn't be caught wearing open toed sandals.
plasticann: [around the corner] Oh my goodness, what just happened? What was that about?
Adam: I don't know, I guess open toed sandals are unfashionable, but people in Boston wear them.
plastican: Did they make a crack about how you'd never find a girl since you wear open toed sandals?
Adam: I thought they did, but I'm not sure.
plasticann: I would have defended you and said something.
Adam: I thought about responding, but I also thought getting into an altercation on our first night in Seattle wouldn't be good.
plasticann: That's funny! I wonder how they knew you were thirty?
Adam: I was wondering that myself.

If that exchange had happened three days later, we totally could have said, "Hah, you clearly don't know what you're talking about, he's thirty-one not thirty so there you go." I was wearing my Keen sport sandals or what Adam likes to call my "orthopedic shoes." I would like to point out that I, however, was not the one who was mocked by teenage boys loafing on a street corner.

No comments: