Saturday, August 30, 2008

How much does a batch of cookies cost...some plasticann stats

Adam asked that question on our way home from the store tonight. I had stocked up on six pounds of butter since Cabot's was on sale for $2.50 a pound. Six pounds may sound like alot, but I go through butter like nobody's business which motivated Adam to ask, how much does a batch of cookies cost? I estimated around $4.50 a batch for the chocolate chip and around $7 for Adam's favorite. (Adam's favorite is a premium cookie.)

Assuming I bake around twice a week, I probably spend $50 a month on baking which translates to $600 a year which is really quite an expense when I look at it annually. Two batches is pound of butter each week which translates into a mind boggling 52 pounds a year. Frankly, the six pounds I bought tonight will really only last me until mid October. The batches I make are big, they bake up around 75 small cookies or 40 medium cookies or 20 large cookies. So each time I hand out a large cookie to a coworker, it costs around 22.5 cents in ingredients. Granted I would probably have to pay $1.50 for that same cookie at a bakery which is over six times more expensive so therefore it still makes sense financially to bake my own cookies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you calculated Adam's calorie intake?

Anonymous said...

Really, two batches a week? I wish I lived next to you. :)