Thursday, December 25, 2003

Chicken & Waffles

Laurel & I hit Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles. Laurel had rosier memories of KFC Chicken which she hasn't had for several years. I've rarely met fried chicken I didn't enjoy so I was pretty much a happy camper. Incidentally, there was a KFC next door to Roscoe's.

My favorite all time fried chicken is from a defunct chain called Pioneer Chicken. Honey Dipped fried chicken in college was a close substitute. For now...Popeye's takes the prize...which reminds me of the time Nina & I went down to DC for work. On our way to our destination via cab, I spotted a Popeye's and I practically swooned (the early morning start may also have contributed to my irrational enthusiasm).

Nina, who's a vegetarian, offered to walk over to Popeye's first for my fried chicken and then go to Subway for her veggie sub. I was wearing my brand new red coat and on the way back to the office for lunch, my box of fried chicken left a huge grease stain on my coat.

Initially, I optimistically thought the stain was rain or water from above. However the distinctive smell of fried chicken emanating from the grease spot was unmistakable. I took it to my dry cleaner that night and somehow they magically got the grease stain out and we lived happily ever after. The End!

Moral of the story...be careful when carrying boxes of fried chicken because clothes are highly absorbent when it comes to fried chicken grease.

No comments: