Thursday, November 03, 2005

Random Musings About Social Behavior

I was sitting on a bench at school yesterday when I spotted a plastic folding table across the way. I dragged it over to the bench and two of us used it as a desk. Soon, a third joined our official looking laptop row. As we tapped away at our respective computers, countless classmates started to stop by and ask, "Are you signing people up for an activity?" It reminded me of a chilly winter night when MGDub and I got locked out of her car in Harvard Square after seeing The Hours. We had to huddle in one of the parking lot attendant booths to avoid the frigid weather as we waited for the locksmith to come. Sure enough, people started stopping buy to pay us for their parking. Years ago, plasticmom and I were in Japan waiting in line for a afternoon tea buffet. We were early so we just stood around outside the entrance. Twenty minutes later, we noticed a neat line had formed right behind us, upt the stairs, around the corner and down the hall. The orderly behavior was very impressive.

No comments: