Tuesday, April 25, 2006

plasticann's [reduced fat and sugar] Rice Krispy Treats

Laurel can confirm, but I used to be all about the rice krispy treats in high school mostly because they're incredibly easy to make. Over time, I discovered that the treats tasted better with less butter and fewer marshmallows and are much easier to handle given the reduced stickiness so I started to cut down on the two ingredients gradually until I found the breakeven point. The original recipe calls for 4 Tbs butter [half a stick] and 40 large marshmallows. Here's my modified lower fat and lower sugar version. You'll thank me on the reduced stickiness quotient alone.

Ingredients:
25-27 Marshmallows
3 Tbs Butter
5 cups Rice Krispy cereal
1/4 cup peanut butter [optional]

Recipe:
1. Measure 5 cups of cereal in a large mixing bowl.
2. microwave 1 minute on high, butter, marshmallows and PB in a second large microwave safe bowl.
3. Stir marshmallow mixture incorporating all the ingredients together.
4. Microwave marshmallow mixture for another minute on high.
5. Mix marshmallow mixture with cereal until all the cereal is coated with the marshmallow mixture.
6. Scrape the coated cereal into a 9x13 pan packing down the mixture with a spatula.
7. Repeat recipe for batch 2 and press that batch over the first for a nice and solid 2 batch pan of treats.
8. Cut into square and enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I vouch for Ann - she made a delicious PB variation of rice krispie treats all the time in high school. I also vouch for the reduced fat, reduced sugar recipe. :)