Friday, April 14, 2006

"Spouse"

Mission Accomplished! We finished our paperwork this morning and I mailed in our taxes after one final trip to HR Block. The following is a reconstructed conversation between plasticann and the Tax Lady.

plasticann: So, does it matter who signs under "Your signature" and who signs under "Spouse's signature?"
Tax Lady: Yes, it does matter. Adam signs first and then you sign under "spouse."
plasticann: Why do I have to be the "spouse." [Harumph!]
Tax Lady: [shrugs] In fact, the taxes get filed under Adam's social security number.

There you go, I'm now a "spouse." I think there used to be some benefits to being the "spouse." In the past, if Adam had hypothetically evaded taxes, they'd usually go easier on the "spouse," but these days I don't even think there's that consideration. I'm not complaining too much, Adam did go over our tax return with a fine tooth comb. plasticmom would have been proud of his persistance, but I do wish they would have Person 1 and 2, but then we'd have the same problem...who gets to be "1" and who gets to be "2." For the record, I wouldn't mind being "2."

No comments: