Friday, September 07, 2007

The Longest Short Week

I'm not big on change and new situations so starting a new job is inherently exhausting for me. That's probably why I stayed five years in my first job. I didn't want to have to experience the longest two days of my life which was when I started working right out of college. Who would have thunk that a Thursday/Friday work week would leave me utterly drained. I'm not feeling so wussy since I worked four whole days this time around. That said, here are some of my highlights from my first week back in the labor force:

1. Sam LaGrassa bills itself as the "World's #1 Sandwich." I was famished on Thursday so I tried the pastrami since everyone else was getting it. I'm not a huge fan of pastrami since it's typically very salty, but Sam LaGrassa's Pastrami Sandwich is a keeper. The meat is tender, delicious, not really salty and the fresh baked french roll is awesome. It's only a block from my office which is a little dangerous, but I do have someplace great to go whenever those meat cravings hit.

2. Badge drama: I managed to lose my badge on Thursday. Yup, that would be two days in. Adam even walked over to Davis along my route to look for it and when he couldn't find it, I reported it missing and sheepishly begged the facilities guy for a new one. This morning, I get a surprise call on my office phone. Another person at my company that works on another floor also lives nearby and found my badge on the bike path near Davis. She thought it looked like her own and picked it up wondering if it was for someone at the same company. Lo and behold, now I theoretically have a commuting buddy in spirit. We've never met, but we've seen each other's photos thanks to the nifty online company directory.

No comments: