Monday, October 27, 2003

Banking Full Circle

I woke up this morning to NPR and the big banking news story of the day, Bank of America is buying Fleet in a $47 billion dollar deal. In the last eight years my bank account has been bought twice and is now gunning for bank buyout number three. While this may seem rather "inconvenient," it's worked out swimmingly for me. I started with a checking account at BayBank in 1995. When Bank Boston bought out BayBank, I was primed for the transition because the local bank near my school was the Rhode Island Bank and Trust--A Bank Boston Company so I didn't even have to open a new account once I got to school. Then Fleet bought Bank Boston which was fine with me since I was then moving up to Boston and my banking needs would still be met without so much as a hiccup since Fleet was now going to be everywhere in Boston. Now, Bank of America is buying Fleet. This cracks me up because good old Bank of America is dominant in California where I'm from. I got my first ATM card from "BoA" in 1993.This means, my banking will proceed as usual when I eventually move back to California. Plus, plasticmom will be able to use her ATM card here and I'll be able to use my ATM card in good old California without incurring fees. I love how these bank mergers and buyouts seem to be tailored to my ever changing geographical banking needs. "Fantastic," I say.

No comments: