Monday, February 09, 2004

Kaplan Geeks

MGDub and I bonded over how Kaplan classes (GRE & GMAT respectively) boosted our self-esteems with regards to our "smarhhhhtness." Kaplan Class is the only time when knowing how to do basic Algebra is disproportionately rewarded. MGDub recalled being a "Kaplan Geek" with her friend Joanne and reenacted the following for my amusement.

MGDub (as a “Kaplan Geek” in GRE class somewhere in Providence in the very late 1990s): "Three-fourths is really just 75% or could also be expressed as .75 and six-eighths is also .75 because I know you can reduce the fraction down to three-fourths."

I get depressed before class because I could spend every waking moment studying for the GMAT and still fail to utilize all the resources available to me. Then I go to my actual class and leave feeling better thanks to my instructor who is best described as an endearing "spastic geek" given his reaction to a fading dry erase marker is to beg the marker to "black marker please don't go away" always followed by a elated "thank you black marker" when the ink well of the marker miraculously revitalizes mid-equation.

No comments: