Monday, January 23, 2006

The Mystery of the Lemon Bread...SOLVED!

Last summer when Adam and I were helping MGDub pack up her apartment to move down to NYC, we discovered many curiosities including packets of old gravy mix and random boxes of opened pasta. While MGDub graciously offered us her perishable foods [which we appreciated], she was bent on packing up all of her nonperishables which included all of the aforementioned items. She even had two opened canisters of corn meal, but she couldn't remember why she had them or if she'd ever used corn meal. Even though she admitted that GJDubya had given her some of the pantry items in 1999, she argued that she might one day decide to make gravy on a whim and it would be great to have the gravy mix. I digress!

One nugget I discovered was this recipe binder MGDub had. I think her friend Caitlin was trying to encourage her to take up the culinary arts. As to be expected, MGDub had not tried any of the recipes, but the lemon bread recipe caught my attention because the recipe notes said the bread was really more like a cake so I promptly e-mailed it to myself. I've made this lemon bread or lemon pound cake recipe multiple times and everyone loves it, but the true origins of the recipe have always been a mystery until today. I was browsing through my new Williams-Sonoma Baking Cookbook from my Aunt Pat when I came across the exact same lemon bread recipe. I offer you the "e-mailed" version of this recipe.

Lemon Bread

1/2 c butter (1 stick)
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c milk
1/2 c finely chopped nuts (optional)
grated lemon peel

topping: 1/4 cup sugar + lemon juice [1 lemon]

1. Cream butter & sugar, add eggs
2. Mix flour, baking powder & salt together
3. Alternately add some flour mix, then some milk to the butter/eggs batter.
4. Stir in nuts & peel
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in a loaf pan
6. Mix 1/4 c sugar and juice of 1 lemon and pour this over the bread when it comes out of the oven.

No comments: