Saturday, May 20, 2006

Baffling

I'm very fortunate that Adam is quite domestic, even more domestic than I am. He cooks more, cleans more and he's just an all around better person to live with than I am. I tend to leave my shoes lying around, neglect washing my baking dishes and I'm often tempted not to refill the toilet paper when I'm lazy and I end up setting a fresh roll on the counter. The toilet paper thing is truely unkind and infuriating so I try not to do that since Adam is a very nice husband and deserves better. The following reconstructed conversation illustrates one strange, but recurring dynamic...Adam not being able to find stuff.

Adam: Where's the soy sauce?
plasticann: In the fridge! [about to yell, "it's on the lower shelf in the door"]
Adam: It's not there, I looked.
plasticann: [frantically trying to remember why it's not in the fridge] Um...I don't know. I'm coming!
plasticann: [plasticann opens the fridge and the soy sauce is in the door on the lower shelf] Uh-hem!
Adam: [turning around] What!
plasticann: The soy sauce! [pointing at the shelf]
Adam: Where?
plasticann: It's right here in the door.
Adam: I looked in there twice, but I didn't see it.
plasticann: [baffled]

My 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Chin, used to tell these amusing stories about how her husband couldn't find anything. He'd look in a closet and say, "I don't see it," and it would be right in his face. Things aren't looking good in this area, but now that we've established where the soy sauce resides, I think it'll get much better.

No comments: