Monday, October 16, 2006


Erroneous CD

Last month, I received a CD I didn't order in my box of textbooks from Amazon. It was the first time I've ever had an error in my order from them. Since I worked at Amazon last summer, I understand how much they value the accuracy of their inventory and how infrequently they make mistakes so I tried to return the CD even though they didn't charge me for the CD and the CD didn't appear on my packing slip. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to return this CD so I ended up keeping it. We had a bunch of people over for dinner for our friend Esther's birthday so I had thought that maybe I should offer up this CD to the guests. Of course, I totally forgot to do this and the CD stayed in my office. Later that evening, our last guests Chris and Angel were about to leave so they peeked in my office to say goodbye. The following is a reconstructed conversation between Chris, who likes any music that doesn't play on the radio, and plasticann, who's so ambivalent about music she can't be bothered to turn it on most days:

Chris: No way, you have the new Flaming Lips CD!
plasticann: [Looks at Chris blankly] Huh!
Chris: This CD, can I have a copy?
plasticann: The Flaming Lips?
Chris: [holding the CD] This is their latest CD, I've been wanting to buy it. I can't believe you like them too.
plasticann: Um, you can have the CD, I got it by mistake from Amazon and I couldn't return it. I don't even know who The Flaming Lips are.
Adam: It's a real CD, we assumed it was some bargain bin CD.
Chris: Really, are you sure I can have it? I'll make you a copy of the CD!
plasticann: Really, that's OK, I don't need a copy.
Chris: I'll make you copy. They're really great!

I still don't know who The Flaming Lips are and what type of music they play, but judging from the CD cover and their name, I don't think it'll be my cup of tea...seems to cacophonous for my taste. I am glad that Amazon's error made Chris day.

No comments: