Thursday, April 18, 2013

A loving tribute to Adam with a small dose of ribbing



Since we got married, Adam has been responsible for about 75% of our house stuff. In the eight years we've been married, I've either been in business school (kinda intense) or working a kinda intense job with very little flexibility. Adam has always been really joyful about doing dishes, grocery shopping, cooking dinner, doing laundry, etc and he's never complained. Hands down, Adam wins best husband ever award in my book.

Since I'm taking some time off from work, I now (for the first time ever) have more time for our family life. Adam has his way of doing things and he's started "training" me this week. To his credit, he's not just being "bossy," he's just sharing the knowledge and years of experience gained from having done all this housework himself. But, as you all know, Adam is endearingly particular about optimizing things.

Adam's tried and true tips and preferences include:
  • When drying the bathmat, hang the bathmat up with the rubber side out. The rubber side takes longer to dry so it needs more exposure to air. 
  • Open up all the curtains to let the sun in before the cleaners come. That way they can "see" the dust better. 
When I offered to make Adam breakfast today, he demonstrated how he likes to make his breakfast:
  • Regular sized shallow bowl filled with:
    • Kashi Go Lean
    • 1 banana sliced perpendicular to the edge, not slant-y
    • Milk
    • 1 teaspoon of dutch cocoa powder
    • 1 spoonful of flax seed + wheat germ mix (if we have it)
  • Large glass filled with:
    • OJ halfway
    • Water up to the curve of the glass
    • 1 scooop of powdered green food
  • Coffee... surprise me
Adam wants me to point out that he made most of his breakfast this morning. In fact, the little I did to help was actually unhelpful. I sliced the banana slant-y so the slices were too big. I also added a whole heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder or 3x more than normal so it wouldn't dissolve in his cereal. Lastly, I offered to make him coffee and totally forgot to push "brew."

It's only week one and now that I've publicly documented Adam's breakfast habits in detail on the inter webs, I think I'm going to nail it next time. There's only room for improvement at this point. Overall, I find my training regimen very amusing and even helpful. I'm can be pretty inept sometimes so it's all good. 

Next week, I'm undergoing an intense training around optimal dishwasher loading. I always do it wrong and Adam has to rearrange the dishwasher. Sometimes I load it incorrectly because I'm lazy or clueless and sometimes/rarely I do it wrong a little on purpose just to get Adam's goat. Sorry sweetie!!!

2 comments:

kim said...

You guys are so funny. I'm a stickler for loading the dishwasher the 'right' way, too. Best of luck with breakfast tomorrow morning.

Adam said...

Definitely NOT dutch cocoa powder. That lacks the nutrients behind why I add cocoa.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/what-kind-of-cocoa-powder-use.aspx

"If you’re interested in the health benefits of chocolate, use regular cocoa powder instead of dutch-processed cocoa, which is treated with alkali to reduce its acidity. The alkalization process removes some of the bitterness and makes for a smoother, mellower taste. But it also destroys a lot of the heart-healthy flavanols in the cocoa powder. Don’t use regular cocoa powder in recipes that call for dutch-process cocoa, though.The two are not always interchangeable."