Friday, April 26, 2013

Pilgrimage to Kane's Donuts in Saugus


Maple Frosted [my favorite] and Creme Brulee Donut [my other favorite]

Back in the day [as of two weeks ago] when I was working at Zipcar, the engineering team would often buy donuts from Kane's to celebrate an engineering release. I would always finagle my way into their donuts by looking longingly and expressing extreme enthusiasm whenever I saw the boxes. Some engineer, who'd benefited from my baking, would inevitably offer me a Kane's donut and it would make my day. 

While I'd enjoyed Kane's donuts at work and I've been wanting to go for years, I'd never been to Kane's in person so my friend Jen and I made plans to go on a donut adventure last Friday, but were were thwarted by the "shelter in place." It was wise to stay put in the interest of public safety, but as Corinna put it, "terrorists suck."Therefore, we rescheduled and went to Kane's Donuts in Saugus yesterday. 

Kane's Donuts is often named for best donut this and that and most recently made it on Bon Appetit's Top 10 Donut Shop list. These donuts are very good and they come in a huge number of flavors. Jen and I got four different donuts to try: creme brûlée, maple frosted, apple fritter and jelly. All were awesome, but the maple frosted is my new favorite.

I also bought a dozen donuts for Adam's coworkers...he asked me to draw a "map" on the lid.


Row 1: Buttercrunch, Coconut Lemon, Jelly
Row 2: Boston Creme, Apricot, Honey Dip
Row 3: PB&J, Reeses PB Cup, Apple Fritter
Row 4: Creme Brûlée, Maple Frosted, Caramel Frosted

I needed an excuse to buy one of their legendary ginormous bigger than my head coffee rolls so I bought one for Wheezy since she was having a little b-day get together last night at Noir. We sliced it up and enjoyed the coffee roll with our fancy cocktails right then and there. I think we only conquered 50% of the coffee roll with eight of us. 


Happy Birthday Wheezy!!!


Close up of Kane's legendary coffee roll...the orange gives you a sense of perspective

No comments: