Saturday, April 20, 2013

Flour Bakery Cookie Quartet



Top Row: Oatmeal Raisin
2nd Row: Chocolate Chip
3rd Row: Ginger Molasses
Bottom Row: Snickerdoodles

Last week was school vacation week so Vineyard Community Offerings associated with our church was hosting kid events all week. I volunteered to bake six dozen cookies for their movie night and bake sale. I cracked open my Flour Bakery Cookbook to try some new recipes. Flour Bakery is an awesome local bakery with four locations. Everything there is super delicious and it's always a treat. I love that it's not fancy food, it's just normal food made with extreme care so you leave thinking, "that was the best pesto mozzarella tomato sandwich I've EVER had...how do they do that?"

I've made a couple of things from their cookbook including an impressive pineapple upside down cake, but I've never baked their cookie recipes because they recommend letting the dough rest at least 3-4 hours. I've never had the foresight to plan ahead nor the patience to deal with 3-4 hours on a school night. Since I had time last week, I made four different cookie doughs and actually let it rest for 4 hours before baking. It wasn't a controlled experiment so I can't tell you if it made a difference, but all the cookies were delicious. I shared them with a friend's kid who's "four and three quarters" and she gave me the thumbs up on both the Ginger Molasses and the Chocolate Chip. 

Their Chocolate Chip recipe is publicly available on their website so you can check it out there if you want to try it yourself. I highly recommend the original cookbook and Joanne Chang is publishing a "Flour, too" second cookbook this summer. Can't wait!!!

As a bonus, here's another baking equipment tip. Lots of recipes call for mixing the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, etc) in a mixing bowl before you add it to the wet ingredients (butter, eggs, etc). I used to mix it in a traditional normal mixing bowl and then I'd carefully spoon the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Or, sometimes, I'd try to carefully dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient mixing bowl. As hard as I tried to be careful and neat, it was always a little awkward and I'd create a flour-y mess. 

Now I use my flexible silicone mixing bowl to mix my dry ingredients. I can just squeeze the bowl to create a funnel or spout that neatly adds dry ingredients to the wet ingredient bowl. I only have to wash one bowl, I don't create a mess and it's super easy. I also use this bowl to pour hot liquids like hot caramel sauce into smaller jars so I don't burn myself or make a giant sticky mess trying to "spoon" hot sauce from a saucepan into a small jar. 

Flexible silicone mixing bowl filled with dry ingredients
Pinch the bowl and add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Look Mom...No Mess!

No comments: