Thursday, April 25, 2013

Knife Sharpening Hang Out


Patti is all business in her mobile knife sharpening truck

Last time we had any of our knives sharpened was 2007 before we went on a three week vacation. The experience of dropping off my knives and waiting weeks to pick them up was so annoying and inconvenient that I never actually got around to sharpening them again for six years. Our knives had gotten so dull the grape tomatoes I halved were still attached together so knife sharpening was at the top of my to do list. 

I started doing some research online on knife sharpening services when I found Patti from On The Edge Knife Sharpening. She hand sharpens knives a various farmer's markets and she goes to Formaggio's Kitchen, Pemberton Farms and Savenor's locally. Then I thought there has to be an even better way so I decided host a "Knife Sharpening Hang Out." I scheduled Patti for on-site knife sharpening at my house and invited friends to come over with their dull knives. I figured...

FUN = mundane errand + snacks + drinks + friends + sunshine

Patti parked her mobile knife sharpening truck in our driveway and sharpened 40 knives over the course of 3.5 hours. Patti was super nice and happy to answer all our questions about knife sharpening. She's clearly passionate about knife sharpening. As for the rest of us, we hung out while we waited for our knives to get sharpened and enjoyed a sunny day with friends. 


Clockwise: Cream Cheese & Stonewall Kitchen Pepper Jelly on Water Crackers
Swiss Cheese and Stone Wheat Crackers
Snickerdoodles, Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from the Flour Bakery Cookbook


Orange Infused Simple Syrup, Seltzer Water, Iced Green Tea and Iced Black Tea

P.S. The orange infused simple syrup is leftover from when I made candied orange peel

No comments: