Tuesday, August 05, 2003

"Dubble Bubble" in a Rubble

I braved the torrential downpours last night and trekked over to Walgreens, my "research" showed they were carrying the candy flavored lip balms, in hopes of triumphantly locating the elusive Cinnabon flavor. I methodically went through all the aisles and asked at least three "sales associates," with no avail. All I found was some "Dubble Bubble" in a rubble of misplaced lip balm. My quest for Cinnabon lip balm reminds me of a previous youthful obsession with a certain cherry flavored lip balm themed after Disney films by Kid Care. My first Lion King Cherry Lip Balm was in impulse buy, but then I discovered how much I loved the cherry flavor, the light reddish tint and how it withstood a variety of trying conditions and continued to offer smooth application. I tried to purchase some extra tubes my next visit home during Christmas, but was shocked and dismayed to discover that Lion King Lip Balm was a seasonal product and I'd have to wait until the following summer to buy more. Contrary to popular belief, there are "seasons" in "la la land," I argue that the very presence of "seasonal merchandise" rather than the occurrence of extreme temperatures and dead leaves (fall foliage) adequately validates my point. I patiently waited, and cleaned out the supermarket the next summer purchasing what seemed to be a life time supply. This time I procured some 101 Dalmatians Lip Balm in addition to the Lion King, all of which was of course cherry flavored. I thought I was alone in my quixotic love for this lip balm until I spied my friend Corinna using a tube of the exact same Lion King cherry lip balm one day early in our friendship. I could barely contain my excitement when I discovered she loved the stuff too. The irony is, I’ve never finished an entire tube of lip balm because I rarely use it. Like Adam, I like lip balm and I like using it, but unlike Adam, I never actually remember to use it.

No comments: