Friday, August 15, 2003

"Sabbath Cookies"

Each week on Wednesday, I attend a church small group led by Adam and MGDub. This past Wednesday, MGDub led a compelling look at taking a regular "Sabbath" or a day of rest and restoration as strongly suggested by the Ten Commandments. Because I don't do well with the whole Sabbath thing, attempting to take an entire day of rest is too ambitious for me. However, MGDub gave us all a few minutes to pray silently at the end of the evening about the issue of resting. After a few minutes of prayer and contemplation, we all shared our thoughts. Adam, not surprising because he secretly aspires to be a member of the intelligentsia, felt he would enjoy extended time studying the bible (with concordances and such) during his Sabbath. I, on the other hand, envisioned my day of rest literally feeding myself. While I normally bake cookies, the cookies I baked for my Sabbath would be the ones I felt like eating and would not be for sharing. In addition, I thought eating whatever I wanted on my Sabbath seemed quite restful. Having shared my profound thoughts, my friend Dave decided his Sabbath would include coming to my house to eat my "Sabbath Cookies." I was quick to remind Dave that I would have no interlopers on my day of rest and the whole point was not having to share my "Sabbath Cookies." Although, if Dave did come over, I probably would share my "Sabbath Cookies" especially if we coordinated and took our Sabbath on different days. I mused out loud whether I was “food obsessed,” and MGDub confirmed, a little too enthusiastically, that having read my blog, I was most definitely obsessed. Harumph!

No comments: