Monday, August 25, 2003

When was your first memory?

My first memories are from around age two (trip to Hawaii, plastic ice cream cone toys from the gift shop...my fixation with plastic apparently started young), but I remember a fair amount starting from two and half, which was when I started pre-school. I can remember my first friend's name (The-a-DOOR-a, phonetically emphasizing the "Door"), teacher (Ms. Joyce), favorite crayon color (Green) and another teacher's eye shadow (green and cornflower blue at the same time...we're talking eighties). I can still draw an approximate floor plan of the place as well. Lunch was served on pale green melamine divided plates and sometimes included boloney cut in quarters (YUM) and cottage cheese (BARF...I still hate the stuff). Rainy days involved making butter by shaking heavy cream in baby food jars later consumed on crackers as a snack. I cried (three year olds tend to do this) one morning about my birthday and plasticmom showed up at pre-school later that day and surprised me with a homemade chocolate cake decorated with hot pink origami flamingos...I don't think it was even my actual birthday. My favorite drink while the adults, everyone but me, ate tempura was 7-Up with a cherry and I had a propensity for nose bleeds, which is still true today. Adam tells me that my memories start "unusually" (a.k.a. freakishly) young. I'm curious folks, when was your first memory?

No comments: