Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Lime Cookie Shortcut

I was all set to zest some limes for some lime meltaway cookies using my new microplane zester when I realized my limes had taken on an unsightly brownish ting, which seemed unsuitable for zesting. Having already creamed my butter and sugar upon this discovery, I decided to substitute the freshly squeezed limejuice and zest with some Trader Joe's Key Lime Juice in a bottle. I brought some cookies along to lunch and they were gobbled up without any hesitation. However, Adam's verdict is the true test of whether this substitution will pass muster. On the other hand...I doubt I'll be going back to zesting and juicing real limes since it's so much easier to use the bottled lime juice.

TIP: Coat these cookies in small batches...five cookies at a time. They will crumble and disintegrate when coating larger amounts of cookies in powdered sugar. This is one shortcut I will no longer take...the result is always crumbs that are still delicious, but no longer "cookies."

Note to Self: Check all my ingredients before I start a recipe. Are my limes brown? Is the milk stinky? Do I have eggs? Duh!

No comments: