Monday, September 22, 2003

Mistaken Identity

My friend Vanessa, Adam and I were enjoying the lovely weather yesterday afternoon kicking around downtown Boston when we stopped by Crate & Barrel to have a look. A case of mistaken identity, I started talking to a stranger thinking she was Vanessa. Although they had similar hair color, they were noticeably different in height to my chagrin. Here's a reconstructed conversation between plasticann & "Not Vanessa's Doppelganger" or "NVD."

plasticann: [noticing that "NVD" is examining an onion chopper] I was thinking about getting one of those because I really hate chopping onions, but I guess I rarely cook.
"NVD": [looking up at plasticann] Yeah...I was thinking of getting it for chopping onions myself.
plasticann: [hiding her dismay and embarrassment upon discovering "NVD" is not Vanessa and trying to act like someone who normally chats up strangers] That seems like a good idea.

"NVD" proceeds to the register with her chopper while plasticann tries to scurry away discretely to find Vanessa and Adam. The saving grace is that "NVD" seemed quite friendly and unweirded out by a stranger providing unsolicited advice on kitchen gadgets and my enthusiasm for the chopper seemed to seal the deal in her mind because she actually bought it.

No comments: