Monday, January 08, 2007

I Wanna Be A Blond

Both Adam and I need new passports so I was filling out our applications online this morning. Granted I should probably know these stats, but I never know what color or Adam's hair and eyes. I blame my confusion over and inability to name Caucasian colorings on my being Asian. We have black and maybe dark brown if we're being very specific. Them white folks got blond, auburn, dirty blond, platinum blond, red, green, blue so I had to call Adam at work since passports are official business. The following is a reconstructed conversation:

plasticann: Hey, I'm filling out your passport application. Are you six one?
Adam: Yeah!
plasticann: Hair color, light brown?
Adam: ......I'd like to think of myself as being blond.
plasticann: Buah ha ha! Blond? Yeah right. Why don't you poll your coworkers.
Adam: [muffled] Hey guys, what color would you say my hair is? Blond?
Coworkers: [muffled response]
Adam: [muffled] Brown?
Coworkers: [muffled response]
Adam: They said light brown.
plasticann: Light brown it is. What about eye color?
Adam: I always put Hazel, they always change color.
plasticann: OK, "Hazel" it is.

I didn't even know what "Hazel" is, but according to Merriam-Webster, it's "a light brown to strong yellowish brown." Sounds kinda like plain old light brown to me, but I guess Hazel is more special.

3 comments:

kateisfun said...

I think i was the only co-worker present, and I'm glad to know that I've attained status as a multiple.

alissa said...

see, i would have said blond. it's a sandy kind of dark blond, but blond. it's a lot like my hair color right now.

Unknown said...

I've always thought of adam as a blond. and when i tell stories about adam to a friend of mine who doesn't know you two well, she always says, "he's that tall blond guy, right?"