Wednesday, January 31, 2007

More Misadventures in Bread Baking

Baking bread is definitely not a good use of time, but since school doesn't start until next week, I was at it again with Cheesy Scallion Bread adding 4 stalks of chopped scallions and 1 cup of shredded cheese to the basic recipe. Unfortunately, I added a little too much water to the dough yesterday and I think the combination of salt and green onions in the dough made the dough even more wet since the salt probably sweated the onions over time so I was confronted with a wet soppy mass this morning. I proceeded as usual, trying unsuccessfully to form the dough into a ball, I scrapped the wet dough into my 3 quart All Clad pot for baking. Since the dough was super wet and sticky, I had to bake it an extra 30 minutes. I did use Laurel's handy tip about the thermometer, but I managed to ruin my thermometer since I accidentally left the thermometer in the bread and baked it in the oven. Despite all these trials and tribulations, the bread baked up just fine and is mighty tasty. I really think the recipe is "unbreakable" and utterly idiot proof.

Tips for next time:
Add a little less water to the dough accounting for the scallions sweating or add scallions right before rising and spray pot so bread doesn't stick

No comments: