Wednesday, August 17, 2005

White Bread



Growing up, we were a two bread kinda household. There was the "Home Pride Split Top Wheat Bread" and of course Japanese/Asian white bread also known as "Shokupan." Now, we're a "Arnold's Brannola 12 Grain" household, but I couldn't resist picking up some delicious Japanese bread from the Japonaise Bakery in Porter Exchange. This little bakery stand offers two kinds of sliced bread: regular or cream. I once [daftly] asked what was the difference between the two...one has cream in it. What exactly is Japanese white bread? It's a perfectly rectangular loaf of white bread. It's so rectangular, in fact, I can't tell which end is up. It's a mystery, to me, how they manage to bake rectangular bread when the rest of the west bakes poufy topped loaves. I digress! Japanese bread is white, squishy, soft and oh so tasty. In fact, it's like gourmet Wonder Bread, but infinitely better. You can buy it in sandwich slices or thicker toast slices. I used to eat mine twice toasted. Toast it dry the first time, top with butter and toast again to melt the butter into all the nooks and crannies. For a decadent tread, I'd eat my toast with condensed milk. This morning I was inspired to make a fluffernutter with my Japanese bread. I figured there's no better carbo vehicle than Japanese bread to deliver a delicious combo of Skippy's and gourmet Tiny Trapeze Marshmallow Creme. The End!

No comments: