Thursday, August 23, 2007

Where's Weed?

Two weeks ago, our weed situation was getting noticably bad so I ended up weeding our entire side yard. I hadn't really noticed the weeds until I started weeding, then I noticed them everywhere. In the brick side yard, in the gravel, in with the plants, on the sidewalk. I did a thorough weeding and it took me about 3 hours to fill one giant trashbag.

Since then, I've been mildly obsessed with obliterating weeds from our yard. Unfortunately, they have complicated winding root systems so it's a fruitless battle. Every few days when I come home, I survey the land and try to spot any new weeds that have cropped up. My problem is weeding begats more weeding. At first it was all obvious weeds, then it was the weeds hiding behind other weeds, then weeds that looked like plants at first glance, so on and so forth. I haven't mastered the art of deciding between weed and plant. I know I'm in trouble once I pull up bushes and the yard is completely bare.

2 comments:

Wayne Wei-siang Hsieh said...

Ah, yes, weeding. I gave up on that a long time ago, when it seemed clear that I had two options:

1) either zap the lawn with weed-killer

or

2) concede defeat and just mow the weeds down with the rest of the lawn

Although I have no real in-principle objection to using weed-killer, I'd still rather not use the stuff, so I've ended up with option 2.

One day, I may actually just have a landscaping firm rip up the whole thing and start over, but I'm right now too indifferent to go through that sort of expense.

Ann said...

Weed killer! Brilliant! I think I'll keep pulling up the weeds, but maybe get the weed killer for those trouble spots like weeds growing out of cracks in my sidewalk or bricks.