Friday, April 25, 2003

CAKE

At work, we each get to celebrate by ordering a cake when our birthdays roll around. Today is Steve's birthday and next Monday we get to celebrate Nina's. Nina had a specific cake in mind for herself earlier this week and refused to unveil her choice until Steve had picked his. A couple of us knew what the mystery cake was, but kept our traps shut and didn't tell Steve. Nina didn't want Steve to steal her cake idea since her cake came later, but she didn't want to tell him he couldn't get her cake so she figured if Steve came up with her cake on his own, she wouldn't begrudge him for choosing the same one. Yesterday at lunch, their cake choices were unveiled which was very exciting because we were now privy to what sorts fun snacks we had in store for us. The following is a reconstructed dialogue. As usual, names have not been changed.

Nina: So Steve, what kind of cake are you getting tomorrow?
Steve: I ordered a Strawberry Shortcake.
Nina: Whew...I'm glad you didn't pick the cake I wanted. I'm getting the Lemon Raspberry cake.
Steve: I wouldn't have wanted Lemon Raspberry cake anyways. You had nothing to worry about. Lemon Raspberry isn't very manly.
Mark: And Strawberry Shortcake is really masculine.

We all had some laughs and Steve started constructing alternative scenarios such as, "What if I didn't order a Strawberry Shortcake, but ordered a 'Strawberry Shortcake' character cake instead and what if I inadvertently ordered the 'My Little Pony' cake because it was next to the 'Strawberry Shortcake' cake. Wouldn't that be hilarious."

I'm personally very excited about the cakes. We've been getting these flourless chocolate cakes for the last few birthdays. They're delicious, but they're so rich you can only eat half a slice which is kind of unsatisfying. With the two upcoming fruity cakes, I'm looking forward to the option of eating two slices of cake.

No comments: