Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Fried, Sugary and Flipflops

my general compulsion
I have to first confess that I'm a sucker for many things including new snack foods and new fast food restaurants. I read about it in the Wall Street Journal and feel compelled to tell everyone around me and finally I compulsively decide that this is a "movement" I want to be a part of.

pollo campero
Case and point...Guatemalan Fried Chicken. I read about Pollo Campero in the Wall Street Journal and how the first branch of the famed Guatemalan Fried Chicken Restaurant in the US is opening in LA. First I talk it up to anyone I see. I haven't had any of their chicken, but seeing how I love fried chicken and that millions of Latin Americans enjoy the Pollo Campero fried chicken devoting themselves to bringing duffle bags full of it into the US, I decide that I instinctively trust these fried chicken loving folks and I want to now be a part of their cause and movement. I tell anyone who will listen about the Guatemalan fried chicken phenomenon (especially my boss Greg), I enlist my friend Laurel (see Chocolate Bar Buffet posting) to drive us there when we're both home for the holidays. How the chicken was when we finally ate it is beside the point.

Krispy Kreme, Hot Dog on a Stick, Baja Fresh and more
Somehow, the thought of deep fried, sugary and or fatty foods puts a ghastly grin on my face and I feel the urge to proselytize and evangelize about it. This has happened more than once: Krispy Kreme Donuts, Hot Dog on a Stick, Baja Fresh, Meeting Street Cafe Cookies, and more. I'm even going on an excursion to the newly opened Baja Fresh this weekend on a pilgrimage to eat my favorite...the grilled chicken Baja Burrito. The first time I spotted a Baja Fresh outside of California was in DC while visiting my friend Corinna. It was across the street from the movie theatre in Dupont Circle. I very nearly ran into oncoming traffic and I don't think Corinna had the heart to refuse my imploring request to eat breakfast/lunch there. Good things she now enjoys the Baja Fresh in her own right.

Now don't get me started on the flip flops
As for the flip flops, I experience a similar fervor when it comes to flip flops. The first flip flop I felt devoted to was the Sensi flip flop. Double layer sole, the top layer has small holes and an ergonomic footbed. The small holes are a bit odd, but the brilliance of this shoe. Sand and water filter through the holes through and out the upper layer and out the sides between the upper and lower layer. My description doesn't do it justice, but it’s beside the point.

Ann's Sensi Chronology
Spring 1993--- I purchase my first pair of Sensi flip flops. I love them. I wear them to school daily and drag them all around Japan that summer. As with all good things, the flip flops fell apart since I wore them nonstop for 8 months. Here's the chronology
Fall 1993--- flip flops being out of season, I switch to Tevas, which is OK, but not the same.
Spring 1994--- I purchase more flip flops, two pairs to be exact. These two pairs last a while longer given my high school decides to ban flip flops as appropriate footwear given the heavy construction at the school. I wear them whenever I can, but by the fall of my freshman year of college, my shoes are shot.
Spring 1997--- I track down the Sensi distributor for North American and mail order myself 7 pairs of Sensi flip flops. I have this paranoid fear that the best flip flop ever created will cease to exist and whatever shall I do. I'd be stranded with sub par flip flops for all ages. I figure I’ve got enough to last me through the year 2010.

Needless to say, I still have about five pairs of Sensi flip flops leftover from my youthful urge to stockpile flip flops in case of Armageddon. I did actually contemplate it being 2010, me being 32 and the world having not created a flip flop as great as the Sensi. They're still at the top of my list of world's best flip flops, but now I have a few contenders. For a few years I switched to Reefs, which I highly enjoy. They offer the nice fabric strap and some funky designs.

Havaianas
My current favorite is the Havaiana rubber flip flop. This all ties back to the diatribe on foods that will give you a heart attack. I read about these Brazilian flip flops in the Wall Street Journal how they're a commodity item in Brazil, but have snuck their way onto Parisian runways and Hollywood. I'm fascinated by these flip flops and my fascination is fueled by more mass media attention paid to the comely flip flop. I find them at Urban Outfitters promptly purchasing a black pair at $12. Thankfully Nina, who shares my love for the flip flop, buys herself a pair and I feel a little less dumb. Together we embark on a quixotic quest for flip flops. We read that the flip flops have appeared in this year's Oscar presenter baskets. We think to ourselves...how cool are we? [really cool or real suckers] Last month, I happen upon a Brazilian supermarket near my house. I walk in...there next to the door is a wall of flip flops, many of them Havaianas. It's like hitting the holy grail of flip flops. I bought myself another two pairs at $5.99 each...red and pool blue. NICE! Nina has since been back and purchased four pairs for herself. They're quite comfortable and the footbed is squishy and resilient due to their super secret rubber recipe.

No comments: