Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Krispy Kreme Opens Today In Medford...Need I say more?

I first fell in love with Krispy Kreme doughnuts when I went down to Daytona Beach, FL for Spring Break with my college fellowship. There was a buy one box get another box free deal at Krispy Kreme so my buddy, Emily (Em-gei), and I hopped in the car one afternoon and bought two boxes of doughnuts to share with our friends. Then on the drive back to the motel, we started feeling really guilty and kind of bad and even hid our doughnuts in a bureau drawer while we debated what to do. Our friend, Ben, who was on the trip with us had a restricted diet due to a medical condition, no sugars, no yeast, and a bunch of other no nos and we were all trying our best to be supportive and cook meals that met his dietary restrictions. Krispy Kreme doughnuts, unfortunately, violated two of his biggest dietary no nos, sugar and yeast. Later that evening, Emily and I had to confess to Ben that we had forgotten and purchased doughnuts that he couldn't eat. Fortunately, Ben was super gracious and said that we should enjoy our doughnut loot and he felt fine not being able to eat them. Sugary and deep fried fatty bliss!

On the way out of Daytona Beach later that week, we stopped by the Krispy Kreme where I had a Hot Original Glazed Doughnut...heaven. I also collected a promotional movie poster with the Primary Colors Red White and Blue doughnut (v. funny), which I subsequently had laminated, and a Krispy Kreme Road signs travel mug. My byline for the newspaper article I wrote the following week about our road trip down to Daytona read, "%#$ &$@! B'00 ate five Krispy Kreme doughnuts while in Daytona Beach, FL."

Note: My name is not an expletive.

No comments: