Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Seven Layer Bean Dip

Growing up with Laurel meant seven layer bean dip at all her parties and get togethers and it was hands down my favorite savory treat. I used to park myself in front of the casserole dish of bean dip, but usually there was someone else parked there with me so I felt less gluttonous. I've asked her for the recipe on several occasions, but I've never made it because my eyes start glazing over after a few layers that I've never seriously made it down the recipe to layer seven. However, Adam's requested seven-layer bean dip for his birthday party and I'm determined to make it once and for all. The good news is I'm now more domestically able than I was in 1995 so I'm hoping it's no longer delusional to attempt this recipe.

Laurel's Seven-Layer Bean Dip
(You need a 9"x9" or 10"x10" pan. Or you can double the recipe and use a 9x13 pan.)

Mix together and leave in fridge at least 2 hours:
2 tbsp mayo
2 tbsp sour cream
1 pkg taco seasoning mix

Layers go as follows (from bottom to top):
1 can of refried beans
the mayo-taco mixture
1-2 avocados, mashed
1.5 c. shredded cheese
1-1.5 c. chopped fresh tomatoes
1-1.5 c. chopped green onions
1 small can of chopped olives
0.5 c. shredded cheese

P.S. When Laurel first e-mailed me the recipe, she forgot tomatoes and was debating whether cheese in two areas of the dip counted as two layers or merely as one. Being a connoisseur of Laurel's bean dip, I determined the missing layer was chopped tomatoes after not all that much deliberation.

No comments: