Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Cake Mix Doctor

Last night I gave my new Cake Mix Doctor book a whirl testing this coffee cake. Somehow my bundt pan is acting up and it's no longer non-stick which is problematic, but I brought in the bottom half of the bundt to work and my coworkers have been enjoying it. I didn't have pecans last night and I used dark brown sugar rather than light.

Coffee Cake

1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1 pkg yellow cake mix (no pudding in the mix)
1 pkg instant yellow pudding (smaller 3.4 oz size)
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract


-Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
-Prepare the pan, oiling and flouring it. (This is the part where my cakes suffer unsightly results)
-Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl until well combined
-Place pecans on the bottom of the pan so they can toast in the pan during the baking process
-Mix all the remaining ingredients in a mixer on low for one minute.
-Mix on medium for two minutes
-Pour 1/3 batter in pan, sprinkle in half of sugar/cinnamon mixture, add another 1/3 batter topping that with the other half of the sugar mixture and finally finishing it off with the last 1/3 of the cake batter.
-Bake for 58-60 minutes or until the top is golden brown and springs back when you touch it.

Unfortunately I don't really know how to get the cake out of the pan without destroying it, but it is pretty tasty and easy.

No comments: