Monday, July 01, 2013

Carbolicious Chinese Breakfast

I'm still jet lagged after four days so I usually require a nap in order to get through dinner. I also take  mini "breaks" from sleeping at night and I'm having trouble sleeping through the night. All this results in waking up at odd hours and much earlier than I'd ideally want to. This morning, I woke up at 4am feeling a little restless so I decided to venture out in search of a traditional Chinese breakfast of soybean milk, fried crullers, bread, buns, rice balls, etc.

Given my aforementioned illiteracy and unfamiliarity with my neighborhood, I had to be a little bit more resourceful when preparing for my early morning adventure. I googled my neighborhood and found a local English speaking blogger with a recommendation for a hole in the wall place that seemed close by. She didn't provide an exact address, but provided enough info to get me close. I walked over to the general area and found a 7-11 where I asked "nee eh li yo may yo shiao de dou jiang dien mah" or "is there a small soy bean milk shop nearby." The super cheerful clerk was then able to get me closer by pointing me to the next alley off the main road. Sure enough, I was able to find the small shop front based on his directions and I knew it was the right place because it matched the photo from the blog. Bingo!

Blog recommendation with general directions and a helpful photo

Bingo! My photo matches the blog photo...must be the right place

I took a photo of the sign just in case

They opened up right around 6am and I got a big pile of food. I ordered one of everything I saw other people ordering because I was worried about missing out and this considerable haul cost me about $3. My favorite was the classic fried cruller in a flat bread. Not only did I manage to feed myself successfully, I didn't get lost doing it so I'm counting it as a win.

Got one of everything I saw other people ordering. 
Clockwise from 12 o clock: 
cold sweetened soy bean milk
fried cruller in a flat bread
veggie bun
rice ball filled with fried cruller pickles and CSDPP (cooked shredded dried pork product aka pork floss)
scallion egg tortilla type thing

Close up of the fried cruller in flat bread. Basically fried carbs inside more carbs

No comments: