Thursday, July 04, 2013

Ginormous Haul of 24 Japanese Snack Foods


I had hilariously ridiculous task of using up some food vouchers at the airport food court before we boarded our flight in Japan. It felt like an episode of Supermarket Sweep and it proved more challenging than I anticipated:
  1. I had about 10 minutes to use up about 4,500 in yen before the flight boarded, it's about $45
  2. It was a use it or lose type deal
  3. Everything at this food court was very reasonably priced [no price gouging here] which actually made the task of spending all our vouchers even harder. Most items were about 126 yen with a few high roller items topping out at 350 yen
  4. None of us were hungry so I couldn't buy like a meal or something more expensive like alcohol
  5. I had to be able to haul it onto the plane so heavy beverages were out of the question
I filled up my basket with anything that looked interesting and I actually came in a little over my budget so I took two boxes of caramels out and clocked in at 4,476 yen. Not too shabby.

I've displayed my haul on a wee little table to welcome Adam when he arrives in two days. I've tried to "sell" some snacks to my family, but so far no takers. Here's the breakdown starting from 12 o'clock:
  1. Bag of little bags of little round biscuits
  2. Green tea Pocky Crush
  3. Vanilla ice cream flavored Combo type cookie
  4. Strawberry gummies
  5. Milk candies
  6. Grape gummies
  7. Green tea Milky candies
  8. Orange gummies
  9. Apple gummies
  10. Green tea Kit Kats
  11. Seaweed flecked cookies
  12. Green tea mochi chocolates
  13. Green tea biscuits
  14. Dark chocolate Pocky
  15. Pretz stick crackers
  16. Milk chocolate Pocky
  17. Another type of Pretz crackers
  18. Variety pack of yokan bean dessert
  19. Corn caramels
  20. Strawberry caramels
  21. Melon caramels
  22. Grape caramels
  23. Caramels with a drawing of a cow on the box
  24. Another box of caramels with a drawing of a cow on the box

No comments: