Friday, July 12, 2013

plasticmom, the typhoon expert

I think it's fortunate that I find plasticmom quite amusing and very endearing. There's a big typhoon projected to hit Taiwan in the next 24 hours, but we managed to fit in a very nice dinner out tonight because Adam and I [cross our fingers] are hoping to leave for Singapore tomorrow if the typhoon passes quickly. Here's a reconstruction of our conversation after we left the restaurant with our bellies beyond full.

plasticann: Should we take a cab home?
plasticmom: No, we walk!
plasticann: Isn't it a typhoon?
plasticmom: It's not raining, just a little wind. When I was growing up, I had to go to school even if it was windy as long as it wasn't raining.
plasticann: OK....I guess we can walk, it's not so bad out. It's a little "refreshing" with the wind. Adam, are you OK to walk?
Adam: [wincing and carrying our bag of leftovers] Yeah, it's not too bad, we can walk.
plasticmom: This is nothing. Just a little wind. When I was a kid, I'd have to go out and buy bread or groceries for the family when there was knee high flooded water.
plasticann: Would you wear big rubber boots?
plasticmom: Rubber boots are useless the water was so high. You just get wet!
plasticann: Yuck, did you shower when you got home?
plasticmom: Of course, but when I was little, I thought it was fun to go out in a typhoon. It was like an adventure. This wind is small, no big deal. It's not even raining.
[rain starts falling]
plasticmom: Just a little wind and a little rain. It's a really big deal when the wind bends you backwards and you can't walk forward.
[Gale of forceful wind pushes against us]
plasticmom: I can't walk forward.
plasticann: Do you think it's time to take a cab NOW?
plasticmom: YES!!!

The wind went from "breezy" to full on "I can't walk forward" in about 3 minutes. plasticmom couldn't even open the cab door the wind was so strong. Adam had to get out and open it for her.

They've been tying down all the trees today preparing for the typhoon

Trees...ready to take on the wind. Adam is unfortunately not tied down.

No comments: